One Riverbend shooting victim was out on bond for murder, another for aggravated assault


Gunshots rang out in the Riverbend apartments shortly after midnight Friday, sending three men to the emergency room with gunshot wounds.

At least two of the shooting victims are also being considered as shooting suspects, according to investigators.

One of the men from the overnight incident was shot in the chest and transferred by helicopter to a hospital in Macon, where he's listed in critical condition. That man, Netobia Williams, 17, previously was arrested in late December and charged with murder, stemming from a shootout several months prior in a trailer park on the Vinson Highway. More than 50 shell casings were recovered from the scene. Williams then spent three months in the county jail on the murder charge before being released on a $150,000 bond. 

Another of the gunshot victims, Ja'kobe Brown, 19, was arrested for aggravated assault last November after a "rolling shootout" that took place on Swint Avenue and past the Central State Hospital pecan grove, where Georgia College & State University was hosing a Parents' Weekend event. Brown later bonded out.

The incident at Riverbend led to a very tense moment for law enforcement, one that involved a man jumping out of a car "wearing a ski mask and holding a handgun," according to a Milledgeville Police Department press release. Law enforcement did not fire any gunshots during the interaction.

Added the press release: "A Georgia College and State University Police Officer attempted a traffic stop on a blue in color 2006 Pontiac G6 believed to be involved in the shooting which fled, and a vehicle pursuit was started. The pursuit went to Navicent Health Baldwin where a male subject who was later identified as (Williams)  got out of the vehicle and laid on the ground near the emergency entrance. The vehicle then continued fleeing from officers. Milledgeville Police Officers then took over as primary in the pursuit and continued chasing the vehicle until the driver wrecked the vehicle at the intersection of South Wayne Street and Effingham Road. The driver exited the vehicle wearing a ski mask and holding a handgun. The driver began running south on South Wayne Street. Officers chased the subject on foot and attempted to use a taser to stop the subect but were unsuccessful in doing so. The male subject then ran off into the woods."

The identity of that man remains unknown.

While law enforcement was working that chase, word came over the radio that two more men with gunshot wounds had been dropped off at Atrium Health Navicent Baldwin hospital. They were later identified as Brown and Emere Cheathem, 23. Brown was shot in the buttocks and arm and transferred to a hospital in "the Athens area," according to the press release. Cheathem, meanwhile, was shot in the arm.

Anyone with any information is asked to call the MPD anonymous tip line at 414-4090 and ask to speak with a detective, or call Macon Regional Crimestoppers at 1-877-68CRIME.

I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified