Teen shot by Hancock County deputy no stranger to Milledgeville Police Department


Montavious Lewis celebrated his 17th birthday a mere five days before reportedly carjacking a work truck and leading law enforcement on a high-speed chase through Milledgeville back in May.

Lewis' name is back in the news today after he was shot by a Hancock County Sheriff's Office deputy following a reported scuffle on Tuesday night in Hancock County. Lewis was rushed to a hospital in Athens and listed in stable condition.

Lewis is accused of stealing a vehicle before a BOLO was issued and a deputy attempted to initiate a traffic stop on Shoals Road outside of Sparta, according to a GBI press release.

Added the press release: "The GBI is investigating an officer involved shooting on Shoals Road in Hancock County, Georgia. The Hancock County Sheriff’s Office asked the GBI to conduct an independent investigation on Tuesday, August 30, 2022, at about 8:50 p.m. One man was injured and taken to a hospital for treatment. No officers were injured...When the deputy arrived, he made contact with a man, who was later identified as Montavious Lewis, age 17, of Sparta. Lewis began fighting with the deputy, at which time the deputy fired his service weapon, hitting Lewis."

Charges against Lewis are pending. Here in Baldwin County, meanwhile, the teen is facing one charge each of aggravated assault upon of peace officer and fleeing/attempting to elude.

The incident reportedly began on May 27 when Lewis hopped into a work truck in front of Hill's Farm Supply in downtown Sparta, brandished a handgun at the truck's owner before taking off in the truck through Sparta and west towards Milledgeville. MPD officers were in the process of laying "spike strips" on Ga. 22 at the river bridge when the truck came into view. Lewis was being chased by the Hancock County sheriff himself, Terrell Primas. The MPD officers didn't get a chance to lay the strips, however, which is when Lewis "swerved directly at" one of the officers, according to investigators. The chase continued through the heart of downtown at speeds between 45-60 miles per hour, added investigators.

<!-- EMBEDDED YOUTU.BE URL: https://youtu.be/20wG5ai3vOk -->

The incident occurred during the lunch rush downtown, where a number of people were celebrating graduations and the beginning of the holiday weekend. Lewis then made a sudden left onto Wilkinson Street at the courthouse and Barberito's before heading south. He then made a left onto Andrews Street and another left onto Wayne Street, this time heading back in the direction of downtown.

At that point, Major Linc Boyer put out the call to try to box the truck in, which is when Lewis reportedly rammed one of the patrol cars, sending the stolen truck into the southside Piggly Wiggly parking lot. Suffering front-end damage, the truck then sped through the grocery store parking lot before making a right onto Wilkinson, a left onto Franklin and over the railroad tracks and past Central City/Bonner Park. The truck then "ran straight through the stop sign" at Franklin and Hancock before Lewis ultimately bailed near the intersection of McIntosh and Pickens Street.

<!-- EMBEDDED YOUTU.BE URL: https://youtu.be/ILIaGIq6hVY -->

A short foot chase ensued, and a Baldwin County Sheriff's Office deputy was able to take down Lewis, and he was arrested without incident. The handgun was recovered in the pickup truck.

Boyer said very rarely does the MPD "chase" through downtown or other highly congested areas. In this case, due to the fact that Lewis had already brandished a handgun "and was driving extremely erratically," the MPD decided to pursue the vehicle.

Lewis was transported back to the county jail in Sparta, where he was booked on charges there.

I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified