Chicken Salad Chick on the way to Milledgeville; here's an epic and way-too-detailed article
In recent years, Chicken Salad Chick has been a fast riser on the Milledgeville restaurant wish list.
Now, it actually appears to be happening, as representatives for the company have submitted plans to City Hall for a new location 1901 North Columbia St., the vacant lot between the Little Caesars shopping plaza and the old Express Lube & Wash. At one point, the plan was to build a second Milledgeville Dairy Queen at that property, but those plans obviously never materialized.
A company called RLM Land Holdings LLC purchased the parcel right around this time last year for $620,000, according to tax records. Meanwhile, RLM Restaurant Group is the Chicken Salad Chick franchisee for much of Georgia. According to company documents, the "estimated official investment" for a Chicken Salad Chick is between $562,000 and $740,000.
The Milledgeville location would be the third in middle Georgia, joining the one on Bass Road in Macon and the one on Watson Boulevard in Warner Robins.
Checking out the menu at the Macon location, there are 12 different chicken salad recipes, all of which come served on a bed of lettuce. The price point for The Chick Combo is $8.99 and includes a "scoop" of chicken salad plus either a side item, a bowl of soup or an extra "scoop" of chicken salad.
Apparently, chicken salad has come a long ways over the years. Here are all of the different variations at Chicken Salad Chick:
• Classic Carol – All white meat, shredded chicken, finely minced celery, mayonnaise, & our secret seasoning.
• Olivia’s Old South – A southern tradition combining sweet pickles & egg.
• Lauryn’s Lemon Basil – Our brightest flavor featuring chopped pecans, fresh basil, & lemon.
• Dixie Chick – An onion-lover’s delight! The only one with onions.
• Sassy Scotty – A zesty blend of ranch, bacon, & shredded cheddar cheese.
• Barbie-Q – A hickory smoked BBQ flavor that is sure to please.
• Fancy Nancy – Dress it up with Fuji apples, seedless grapes, & pecans.
• Fruity Fran – A refreshing blend of Fuji apples, seedless grapes, & pineapple.
• Cranberry Kelli – A mixture of dried, sweetened cranberries, & slivered almonds.
• Buffalo Barclay – Craving wings? This is definitely the choice for you.
• Jalapeno Holly – Whew!! The name says it all, diced jalapenos galore.
• Kickin’ Kay Lynne – ranch, bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, jalapenos, & Sriracha!
Three more options also are available with The Chick Combo – Egg Salad, Pimento Cheese and Spicy Pimento Cheese.
The side items, meanwhile, are Broccoli Salad, Grape Salad, Pasta Salad, Fresh Fruit and Mac ‘n Cheese. Rounding out the menu are two salads – Classic Salad and Seasonal Salad – as well as four sandwiches – Chicken Salad BLT, Pimento Cheese BLT, Turkey Club and Turkey Pesto.
Chicken Salad Chick was started by an Alabama lady named Stacy Brown. As the story goes, Brown "started dropping off samples of her creation in teachers’ lounges and hair salons, and then began selling door-to-door. Orders poured in; Chicken Salad Chick was born. One day Stacy received a call from Stan with the Lee County Health Department, who told her the home business was illegal. With her chicken salad still in high demand, Stacy and her husband, Kevin Brown, were motivated to open up a carry-out only, humble yet honest-to-goodness restaurant where they could spread joy, enrich lives, and serve others. The rest, as they say, is history."
Based on the bio, Stan apparently was never completely forgiven, whoever Stan is.
According to this 2019 press release, Chicken Salad Chick: "Founded in Auburn, Alabama, in 2008, Chicken Salad Chick serves full-flavored, Southern-style chicken salad made from scratch and served from the heart...Today, the brand has more than 135 restaurants in 16 states and is continuing its rapid expansion with both franchise and company locations."
At last count, the company was up to 285 locations in 19 states.