ELECTION CALENDAR: Tomorrow the final day to register; "Sunday voting" scheduled
Early voting at the Carrington Woods government annex begins in one week, believe it or not. With this in mind, here are the important dates to remember, as well as some tips worth keeping in mind:
• Monday, Oct. 10 – Today is the first day that absentee ballots are allowed to be mailed in. Meanwhile, it's also the first day that you can drop off your absentee ballot at the courthouse. The "ballot drop box" is located outside of the courthouse at the new annex, and there's no need to go inside.
• Tuesday, Oct. 11 – This is your last day to register to vote in this year's general election, if you're not registered already. Also, if your address has changed or if you've gotten married (or divorced) and your last name has changed, it's important that you remember to submit the new information between now and then. You can do so by stopping by the Registrar's office at the courthouse or on the "My Voter Page" on the Georgia Secretary of State's website – www.sos.ga.gov. Perhaps the easiest way to find the My Voter Page online is to type "my voter page georgia sos" into a Google search bar.
• Monday, Oct. 17 – This will mark the first of 13 straight "early voting days" in Milledgeville-Baldwin County. Included is "Sunday voting, which will be held from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Oct. 23. Meanwhile, the Monday through Saturday hours will be 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Friday, Oct. 28 – This is your last day to mail in an absentee ballot, if that's how you are choosing to votethis cycle. However, it's technically not the last day to "turn in" an absentee ballot. In other words, voters can drop off an absentee ballot in the "ballot drop box" in front of the courthouse all the way up to 7 p.m. on Nov. 8, which is election day. It's very important that you fill in your driver's license number in the appropriate box and also your birthday in the appropriate box. Also, don't forget to give your signature in the proper line at the bottom of the ballot. These are the three most common mistakes that absentee voter make. So, if you want to make sure that your vote counts, pay close attention to the absentee ballot and don't forget to give your signature at the bottom.
• Sunday, Oct. 30 – This is the one day in late October that the annex will be closed for early voting.
• Monday, Oct. 31 through Friday, Nov. 4 – This is the third and final full week of early voting. The hours are 9-5. No Saturday voting this week.
• Tuesday, Nov. 8 – Voting day! All Milledgeville-Baldwin County precincts will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Please note, however, that you cannot vote at the annex on Election Day. The annex is for early voting early. All voters on Election Day must vote at their designated precincts.