Milledgeville's new Congressman, State Senator to be chosen tomorrow, for all intents and purposes

Image


The way that the State Senate District 25 map is drawn, a Democrat has a better chance of being bitten by a shark on Lake Sinclair than winning the election. The same goes for the Eighth Congressional District.

With this in mind, Milledgeville's new State Senator and new Congressman will be determined following tomorrow's primary election, for all intents and purposes. The State Senate seat came open after Milledgeville's current State Senator, Burt Jones, decided to run for Lieutenant Governor. That turned out to be a wise move for Jones, who is expected to cruise to victory in tomorrow's election on the Republican side. 

Meanwhile, Baldwin County recently was "re-drawn" into the Eighth Congressional District following the 2020 Census and reapportionment. Baldwin is the northernmost county in the district, which spans all the way south to the Florida line.

Austin Scott, who was first elected to Congress in 2010, is the overwhelming favorite to win tomorrow's Republican primary. Scott, from Tifton, picked up 89 percent of the vote in the 2018 primary, while the other two candidates combined for 11 percent. In the 2016 primary, meanwhile, no one else even bothered to qualify. Scott has "voted against Biden" 91 percent of the time, according to his fivethirtyeight.com score.

In the District 25 State Senate race, meanwhile, Milledgeville's Rick Williams and Jasper County's Rick Jeffares appear to be the two candidates to beat on the GOP side. Williams, Baldwin County's State Representative since 2017, decided to take a leap of faith earlier this year and announced that he was running for State Senate, the "upper chamber" of the Georgia General Assembly and the one with much more sway.

Running for State Senate is more challenging than State Representative, and candidates must step out of their comfort zone and venture into different counties where their name recognition isn't nearly as high. It's especially challenging when one of your opponents’ name recognition around the state is much higher than yours, which is the case for Williams. Jeffares (pronounced "Jeffers"),  received 134,000 votes just four years ago in the Republican primary for lieutenant governor, which was nearly as the eventual winner, Geoff Duncan, and Jeffares just narrowly missing the runoff.

Meanwhile, there's actually a sliver of Baldwin County across the river that will be voting in a different State Senate district this year, as Baldwin County is no longer "whole." To make sure that you know which district you're in, CLICK HERE.

<!-- EMBEDDED YOUTU.BE URL: https://youtu.be/LbDQ-hyLg10 -->
<!-- EMBEDDED YOUTU.BE URL: https://youtu.be/OvuPaWojXiI -->
I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified
Spam
Offensive

Replies