DYNASTY! GMC Prep Literary team eyeing 7th straight state championship
Fresh off its 11th consecutive region title, Georgia Military College Prep's Literary team now has its sights set squarely on another state championship, which would be the school's seventh in a row.
“It feels amazing to be a region champ once again,” said Mark Weaver, GMC Prep Fine Arts Director. “The group was made up of mostly underclassmen and only a couple of seniors, and we couldn’t be prouder of how they came together as a team to get this victory.”
For those who may not be completely familiar with literary competitions, the Georgia High School Association defines it as "a contest in communication of prose, poetry, and/or dramatic literature,"adding that the "contest is built on communication - one in which the contestant communicates the author's meaning to the audience."
Since 2013, out of the many hundreds of GHSA high schools in Georgia, GMC has the second-most fine arts state championships in the Peach State, a combination of the Literary competition and the One Act Play competition, which is always held in the fall.
During its recent region championship, which was held at Northridge Christian Church in north Baldwin County, GMC competed in each area of the competition – Boys Music Solo, Girls Music Solo, Boys Quartet, Girls Trio, Humorous Acting, Dramatic Acting, Duo Acting, Extemporaneous Speaking Domestic and International Topics, and Essay – Rhetorical, Argumentative, and Personal.
GMC Prep School took home 11 out of 12 individual region titles, in addition to the Team Championship. Here's the
• Argumentative Essay (Tucker Ivey, 11th) – 2nd Place
• Personal Essay (Harshita Patel, 12th) – 1st Place
• Rhetorical Essay (Helen Chow, 11th) – 1st Place
• Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking (Emma Kate Godin, 10th) – 1st Place
• International Extemporaneous Speaking (Mya Hall, 12th) – 1st Place
• Dramatic Performance (Josey Maddox, 12th) – 1st Place
• Humorous Performance (Nikki Cumba, 10th) – 1st Place
• Duo Performance (Wyatt Baugh, 11th and Alexis Waldroup, 10th) – 1st Place
• Boys Solo (Nathan Simpson, 11th) – 1st Place
• Girls Solo (Emerson Ivey, 10th) – 1st Place
• Boys Quartet (Wyatt Baugh, 11th; Maddox Raburn, 9th; Kenyon Shy, 11th; Nathan Simpson, 11th) – 1st Place
• Girls Trio (Devon Harper, 12th; Emerson Ivey, 10th; Abigail Johnson, 10th) – 1st Place
Next up is the GHSA Class A state championship contest, which will be held right here in Milledgeville this year at GMC. According to a school press release, "Weaver and Co-Director for GMC Prep’s Literary Team, Musical Theater and Drama teacher, Jenny Morris, say getting to call themselves champions is the result of hard work from the students and support from the GMC family. They look forward to seeing the team compete at the state level on March 26, 2022 at GMC Prep School."
Added the press release: "Georgia Military College Prep School will host the GHSA State Literary Competition for the fifth consecutive year on Saturday, March 26th with students from across the state of Georgia to be in attendance. The GHSA State Literary Competition creates a huge economic impact for the Milledgeville-Baldwin community, bringing roughly 600 people to the area for the competition.